Museum

Museum of Natural History

 
The museum was founded in 1924. Exhibits on Mongolia’s history, culture and economic development as well as natural wealth are on display here.
When the first national museum was established in Mongolia in 1924, the base of natural historical museum was found by consisting the principal sections of the exhibitions with the choicest exhibitions of Mongolian Nature.
When the national central museum was located in present location in 1956, it has been enriching its exhibitions and expanded as a big natural department, which has various kinds of geographical, flora, fauna and paleontological exhibits.

museum of natural history

Contacts:

Huvisgalchdiin urgun chuluu, Ulaanbaatar 210646, Mongolia
+976 11 32 4543 ‎

————————————————

Choijin Lama Museum

The Choijin Lama Temple Museum is an architectural masterpiece of the 19th and 20th century. The monastery was erected by Mongolian architects. The museum is only one block south of the Square. Although not as good as the Winter Palace, there is still plenty to snap.

A useful English language booklet is available at the monastery entrance. A concrete ger inside the grounds has a good selection of reasonably priced souvenirs, and probably the best range of books about Buddhism and Mongolia in Ulaanbaatar.

In July 1921 in the center of Ulaanbaatar, the ‘hero of the revolution’, Damdin Sukhbaatar, declared Mongolia’s final independence from the Chinese. The Square now bears his name and features a statue of him astride his horse. The words he apparently proclaimed at the time are engraved on the bottom of the statue: ‘If we, the whole people, unite in our common effort and common will, there will be nothing in the world that we cannot achieve, that we will not have learnt or failed to do.’ The temple was built between 1904 and 1908 by the 8th Bogd Khan Javzandamba, and dedicated to his brother Lama Luvsanhaidav. The Museum has a fine collection of woodcarving, applique, embroidery and sculptures, dated as early as the XVII century.

choijin lama

 

The museum contains precious examples of Buddhist art including the paintings by Ts. Zanabazar, a renowned religious reformer and great artisan of 17th century as well as colorful masks for Tsam Dance ceremony embroidered with corals, bronze statue of gods in erotic poses, silk tankas and many other artifacts. This monastery is also known as the Museum of Religion. It was the home of Luvsan Haidav Choijin Lama (‘Choijin’ is an honorary title given to some monks), the state oracle and brother of the Bogd Khan. The construction of the monastery commenced in 1904 and was completed four years later. It was closed in 1938 and probably would have been demolished but it was saved as a museum in 1942 to demonstrate the ‘feudal’ ways of the past. Although religious freedom in Mongolia recommenced in 1990, this monastery is no longer an active place of worship and will probably remain a museum.

————————

Zanabazar fine arts museum

The Fine Arts G. Zanabazar Museum was founded in 1966. The museum is renowned for the works of G. Zanabazar (1635-1724), which include the statues of Sita Tara, the Five Dhayani Buddhas and the Bodhi Stupa. The Fine Arts Museum was named after Gombodorjiin Zanabazar in 1995. It has 12 exhibition galleries covering the arts from ancient civilizations up to the beginning of the 20th Century. Initially opened with over 300 exhibits, the Museum rapidly enriched the number of its objects, with the modern arts becoming a separate division in 1989 as an Arts Gallery.\ The Museum displays the artistic works of Mongolian masters of the 18-20th Centuries, coral masks, tankas, as well as the famous paintings of B. Sharav entitled “A Day in Mongolia” and “Airag feast”. The Museum contains 13000 objects. The exhibition hall regularly hosts the works of contemporary artists. The G. Zanabazar Museum has been successfully cooperating with UNESCO for the improvement of the preservation of priceless exhibits and for training of the Museum staff.

 

Contacts: Time Table for the Museum In Summer: Every day:  09.00 to 18.00 In Winter: From Monday to Friday10.00 -16 .30 Cost of Ticket Adults    2500₮ Domestic Students     400₮ Foreign Students     1000₮ Children    Free Family     3000₮ Cost of taking Pictures & Video Shooting Photo    10000₮ Shooting Video    20000₮ Chingeltei District, Juulchid Streed, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia. Mail Address: Juulchid streed, Ulaanbaatar 38. Phone:  976-11-326060, 976-11-326061, 976-11-323986 Fax:  976-11-326060 Е-майл: info@zanabazarfam.mn Website: http://www.zanabazarfam.mn

——————————

The Bogd Khan Winter Palace Museum

The  Winter Palace of Bogd Khan - one of the first museums in Mongolia – was built in 1924. It used to be a winter residence of the last Bogd Khan of Mongolia, Javzandamba. The palace compound was built between 1893 and 1903, and is well known for it’s Gate of Peace, Temple and personal library of Bogd Khan. Among the museum’s exhibits are sculptures by Mongolia’s first Bogd Khan Zanabazar, the famous Taras. The museum has 21 invaluable sculptures of Taras.

 

The collection at the Palace Museum numbers over 8,000 exhibits, of these 72 are certified by the State as unique but others are priceless artifacts.
The museum welcomes 19-20 thousand visitors each year and 70-80 percent are from foreign countries.
This is the only remaining palace out of four residences where Bogd Khan, the last Mongolian ruler, resided. This palace now displays the collection of personal belongings of the last Khan and his wife. The museum offers a wide variety of Buddhist arts. Special attention attracts paintings by Marzan Sharav depicting with a slice of humor and irony scenes from the everyday life of Mongols in the turn of this century.
The Bogd Khan Palace Museum comprises of two parts, which are the summer palace with seven temples and pagodas and the winter palace, a two story, white construction built in a European architectural style.
There are mostly ancient statues of gods in the summer palace. Hence every year two great religious rituals are used here and staged to worship the sky and water spirits. There is also a tent decorated with sculptures of birds, animals and horseman.
In the winter palace, built as a project by architects of Tsarist Russia (1893-1903), the Bogd Khan along with his queen, Dondogdulam Khatan (1874-1923) spent the wintertime for 20 years.
The palace has a ger and carriage, as well as clothes and articles that belonged to the Khan, revealing where and how the Last Khan of Mongolia lived, what he was interested in and what he did, as well as what he wore and used.
There are six temples in the grounds. The white building to the right as you enter is the Winter Palace itself. It contains a collection of gifts received from foreign dignitaries, such as a pair of golden boots from a Russian tsar, a robe made from 80 unfortunate foxes and a ger lined with the skins of 150 snow leopards (ask the curator to open the ger for you).
The Bogd Khan’s penchant for unusual live animals explains the extraordinary array of stuffed animals in the Palace – including an elephant that had to walk for three months from the Russian border to Ulaanbaatar!
The Palace Museum preserves priceless historical and cultural monuments of the Mongolian State and religion from the 17th to 20th Centuries, together with artifacts created by the foremost masters of that time, Zanabazar in particular, ranging from statues of gods, tankas, and papier-mache.
For example, there is a mantle (lama’s) made of black fox fur that was presented to the first Bogd Zanabazar by the Manchurian King Enkh-Amgalan. The fur mantle is made of 80 fox skins and, by removing spinal parts of the skins, is seen to be adorned with 61 pieces of coral flower and 800 pieces of pearl. Its length is 186cm and the width of its skirt is 7m. Bogd Khan also had a jacket made of yellow brocade and decorated with pearl patterns in which about 22,000 small pearls have been used. Besides this, it is worthy of mention that there is a hat, made from the leaves of a sandal tree that had been presented to the Bogd Khan by Dalai Lama V and a chair presented by Russian Tsar Nikolai II. In its time, the chair used to play music when someone sat on it. The museum preserves the crown of the Bogd Khan, a music box, silver articles, various stuffed animals, a carriage, silver saddle, and many other priceless and unique items.

 

The Winter Palace, a few kilometers south of the Square on Chingisiin Orgon Choloo, is open daily in summer from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. In winter it is closed on Wednesday and Thursday. A little pamphlet, available at the entrance, gives a very brief explanation of the temples in English, and includes a handy map showing the temple locations.

——————————–

National Museum of Mongolia

The National Museum of Mongolian History is a cultural, scientific, and educational organization that presents Mongolian history and culture from the dawn of humanity to the present day. A significant responsibility for preserving Mongolian cultural heritage therefore lies with the museum. Today museum has 50 employees. The museum has been implemented several different projects related to museum research work in cooperation with foreign and domestic museums as well as scientific organizations. The Museum is supported through admission fees and government funding from the Ministry of Education, Culture and Science.

The origins of the National Museum of Mongolia date back to 1924, when the first collections were begun for a national museum, whose building no longer stands. The present building of the National Museum of Mongolia was built in 1971, when it was erected as the Museum of Revolution.

At that time all collections of ethnography, prehistory, middle history, natural history and paleontology were housed in the building of the Central Museum, which was built in 1956. In 1991, the ethnography, prehistory and medieval history collections of the Central Museum were combined with the 20th century history materials at the Museum of Revolution to create the collections of the National Museum of Mongolian History, and the Museum of Revolution building name was changed accordingly. One of the key missions of our museum, which we will discuss today, is the development of relations and collaborations with other museums and organizations, both domestic and abroad.

Contacts: PO Box-332 Post branch-46, Ulaanbaatar -14201 Mongolia Ulaanbaatar Mongolia Telephone:     976 11 70110913; 976 11 70110914 Fax:     976 11 326 802 Website: http://www.nationalmuseum.mn/